Thursday, January 17, 2008

Update Day 7, 130 Miles

January 17, 2008

The morning started off with a bit of a twist. The past few days have been hard days on the road for us and were taking their toll. Mike has decided that he would rather do shorter riding days and not continue South with me. We talked it over for a bit and I understand his position. Unfortunate for me, I still have a goal in mind and am going to do what it takes to achieve it. Many people do this trip alone and I see no reason why I can't either. Fortunately for me I do not get to hear what everyone else is thinking and have them talk me out of it. As for Mike I wish him a safe journey and I hope he has a great time, no hard feelings.

After our talk we headed out at 7:30. Our Destination was San Cristobal de las casas. The morning was clear and cool so it looked to be a great day, and it was. The road takes you over two mountain ranges and leaves you in San Cristobal at 5,000ft. The first range took us up through 3,500 ft and was spectacular. You ride through a tropical jungle type forest. The roads were nice and twisty and not very crowded. As it turns out this ride takes us through the territory that is occupied by The Zapatistas also known as EZLN. They are not really a rebel group but a group of indigenous Indians that are fighting for something that I am not totally sure on so I won't say. I guess back in 94 the government killed about 70 of them and that kind of pissed them off for some reason. Then in 2001 I believe, they took two tourists captive but later released them unharmed. We came across a town that had their signs as you entered but there were people there who do not like their pictures taken so we passed it up. Then we came across another town called Ocosingo in the valley between the two ranges that had murals on the school and other buildings and I got some pictures of those. At one point I waved at some kids as I usually do and a small boy who was maybe 4 years old replied by putting his hand up like a gun and shot at me. I lucked out, he was a bad aim!

The second mountain range took us up to 8,024ft. It was much like riding through the pines of Angeles National Forest. I did not find this one as interesting but it was fun and there were many people to see.

We ended up in San Cristobal at 2:00 and found a nice hotel called Hotel Santa Clara. It is once again clean and has hot water. I think Mike and I are going to walk around a bit, have some dinner, go to bed and then say our goodbye's in the morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should really pack more deoderant. I've complained for years (to myself) after many desert trips, that this would be the last. OR, its all that Mexican food. I'm sure you'll make great time running solo. Please post more frequently though, as of Weds 1/16, Anna, was making plans to memorialize you. Ride Safe. When in doubt, Floor it.