Monday, January 28, 2008

Update Day 13, 353 Miles

January 23, 2008

I am not entirely sure of what it was that got me out of bed at 6:15 in the a.m. but I am pretty damn sure it was the rooster that they put directly outside my window.

I was on my way to the Panama border by 6:45 and it was a nice 73 degrees but it would not last long. I was checking out of Costa Rica 7:30 and the temp was already at 85. It was an easy check out of Costa Rica and then on to entering Panama. I hired another helper and he did most of the leg work. All I had to do was stand in line to get my immigration entry stamp. While in line I struck up a conversation with a guy from Whitehorse Canada in the Yukon Territory, a town I passed through on my trip to Alaska. He was taking 6 months to make his way to Argentina by way of a backpack and buses. There were only about 15 people in line but it took 45 minutes to get to the front. When done there I had to make a stop in another line to get a signature only to find out I had to wait in the same line as before to get another stamp. My helper pushes me to the empty window next to the guy doing the paperwork and stamping then tells me to push my paperwork in his face. As soon as he is done processing the other person’s paperwork I stick my hand in the little window and he takes my paperwork and processes it like nothing is out of the ordinary. By the time I get my stuff back there are another three people behind me waiting to do the same. All in all it was a good border crossing.


The next few hours are spent speeding towards The Panama Canal, my final destination. The roads were in good shape and for a good part of the way it was a four lane road. There was nothing interesting as far as scenery and it was well into the upper 90s for most of the trip. As I get closer to the Canal I am starting to get a little excited to be so close to the destination. Finally it is in sight and I cross the bridge. One would think that I would be overwhelmed with joy but it was actually a little bit of a let down. Knowing that I made it all the way there I came to the sudden realization that I am a long, long way from home and this is barely the half way point for me. It was just like when I went to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and jumped into The Arctic Ocean. I got out of the water looked around and said I guess it is time to go home. The thought crossed my mind to just snap a quick picture and turn around and head south. That is right I said south. If you look at the map Panama actually swings back up to the north as you get closer to the Canal. It is kind of bitter sweet knowing you are heading towards home yet getting further away. Anyway I opted to look around a bit.

After about an hour of searching for where the locks are located I find Miraflores Locks which is the first of two locks on the Pacific side. I get there at 4:30 in the afternoon and they close at 5. I run in take a few photos and head out the door as they are pushing me out of it. It turns out they could not care less what it took me to get there, they just want to go home. I head into Panama City to try and find a room. Unfortunately for me it is rush hour. I am stuck in traffic moving about 20 ft per minute going along the waterfront. Out of nowhere comes a man walking up to me. He was a 69 year old man who looked to be in his late 50s who used to ride bikes when he was younger. He saw me there and just wanted to talk and give me directions to the local BMW dealer. I ask him where to find a hotel and he directs me to a nearby hotel in the opposite direction. With his guidance I find the hotel, check in and take a much needed shower. Then it was off to the local internet cafe of which I spoke of earlier. I had hopes of getting up to date that night but it was not in the cards. After that fiasco it was time to eat and then off to bed. Ironically enough, as most of you know my life revolves around motorcycles and beer and not necessarily in that order, there was no beer involved the entire day! Yet it was still another good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Beer !!!!!! Its like i dont even know you any more Hope i dont have to retrane you on how to drink when you get back

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure you will make up for the beer at a later date.
I am curious as to why you look grumpy in EVERY picture...There is nothing wrong with a smile you know!