Thursday, January 31, 2008

Update Day 14, 418 Miles

January 24, 2008

Today I decided to sleep in for a little bit, I figured I earned it. After laying in bed and thinking on what to do in Panama City I came to the only logical conclusion that seemed right for me. Go home! I packed up and was on the road by 9:45 Eastern time. There was not much to see on the way down and I was heading back the same route so I knew I would make good time. Halfway out of Panama in the city of Santiago the local law enforcement thought I was making too good of time and pulled me over for speeding, which I was. He clocked me doing 90kph in a 50kph hospital zone but how was I to know that, I don't speak Spanish anymore. Again there were a lot of hand gestures which would only draw an even blanker look from my face. He told me I would have to pay the fine in the city of David which of course got the response of, nice to meet you David my name is Mike. Another few minutes goes by as his frustration sets in and he asked if he was the first police officer that has pulled me over and I replied yes. With that he gave me all of my documents back and sent me on my way.

Stupid American 2
Police 0

All of the acting really made me hungry so I decided to stop for lunch before pressing on. When done with lunch I figured I could make it to the border and into Costa Rica before the sun went down. It was a nice fast ride to the border and having been to this border before it was much easier. Just a quick stamp in the passport and turn in the bike paperwork, 5 minutes max. Next was to enter Costa Rica. It was a quick stamp in the passport and then I needed to pick up the bike paperwork that I dropped off when I left. This took about 30 minutes and while in line I was talking with a guy from Panama who was with 12 other bikes heading to a rally in San Jose. They were going to stay the night in San Isidro and offered for me to ride with them. I knew we would be riding after dark but if I went with them I would be that much further ahead to start the next day. Since it was a big group I decided to go with them. The guy that I was talking with was named Neil and he was the last one of his group to clear customs after 5 hours at the border. The rest of his group was a mile down the road at the local bar waiting for everyone to regroup. When we arrived some had already gone and Neil needed a few beers before moving on. When I ordered a Coke I got some strange looks but I was planning on arriving alive. By the time we left the bar it was almost dark and we had a long way to go. We started out as 7 riders and when we finally got to San Isidro we were split into two groups but everyone made it. We found the others and now it was time to find a room. It was kind of fun riding around the town late at night like we were some outlaw biker gang. By the time we finally found a room it was 11 pm Central time. It was a long day but fun none the less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is 2 stop in a row no beer I am getting worried