Sunday, February 10, 2008

Update Day 29, 375 Miles

February 8, 2008

It was a sad day. Even though most of the people here were freaks it was still nice just to hang out and do nothing. I know, I do nothing at home but, here no one told me I need to get off my ass and do something.

I left the hotel at 9am and finally got out of town about 30 minutes later. In my few days off I must have forgotten how to ride and navigate because I made every wrong turn possible trying to get out of a town that is no more that a square half mile. Anyway once out of San Pedro it was a tight twisty road that turns back on itself about 50 times as you rise out of the valley. It was a little rough for the first part of the day but I survived. It was really nice once on the main road as the temperature was cool and the sun was shining. As I got near the border of Mexico the elevation dropped and the temps increased.

By the time I reached the border at 12:45 it was 95 degrees and I was not looking forward to waiting in lines. As I got to the border and the building to exit Guatemala it was very crowded with people but lucky for me they were just locals. I took 5 minutes to exit Guatemala and another 10 minutes to enter Mexico. That’s right, I said 15 minutes total. I could not believe it but I was not going to question in either.

From the border it was bout an hours ride to the town of Huixla. Here it was time I had lunch. As I rode along you could smell all of the food cooking on the grill by the side of the road. I stopped off and had some great Chicken Asado and actually got to have some real hot sauce with it now that I am back in Mexico. After lunch I made my way towards the town of Juchitan and arrived as the sun was going down at 6:30.

I found a decent hotel, checked in, took a shower and hit the town. I found the town square which is where all the activity is in every town here. I walked around for a little while and finally decided to eat some tacos. It was some kind of meat but I can’t be sure what it exactly was but it was good. I tried to do some updating but every place was closing down for the evening and so did I.

No comments: