Friday, February 1, 2008

Update Day 22, 168 Miles

February 1, 2008

Well it is official my vacation from my vacation is over. The hotel security was very nice and looked after my bike the whole time. They put cones around it and every time we would see it there was a guard either next to it or on it using it to hold the newspaper. Sylvia and I left the resort this morning at 9:15 and returned to her aunts house in Managua. Having the GPS on the bike has been worth its weight in gold. Before we left her house I marked it in the GPS so I could find it again. The map on the GPS does not show the streets so I was guessing at those but somehow we made it to her house without making even one wrong turn. After repacking the bike, eating a little lunch and saying my goodbyes I headed out for my return trip at 1pm.

From Managua I headed towards the city of Leon and it was hot, 95 degrees to be exact. On the way there I passed through a town that looks like its entire economy is based on making bricks and tiles. From Leon I headed east to go to the city of Esteli which is where I am now for the night. The road from Leon was horrible, some dirt but mostly just potholes for 90 kilometers until I reach the Pan American Highway. I did pass through another town where there was the aftermath of a motorcycle vs car accident. Everyone was crowding the street and people were shoveling dirt on the motorcycle because it was on fire. I tried to get a photo but it was too tough. Anyway I found a nice little hotel in Esteli by the name of Hotel Los Arcos, $35 for the night with free Internet and breakfast in the morning.

In the morning I plan on crossing back into Honduras but I am expecting some difficulties. You are supposed to have the title for your vehicle when entering most countries and I have been getting by but I had difficulties entering Honduras when coming down. Wish me luck!

No comments: