Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Update Day 24, 244 Miles

February 3, 2008

It seems like my body has reset it’s internal clock which wakes me up at 7am every day. I hope for my sake it is not permanent! My hotel for the night also included breakfast so I decided to eat it since I paid for it. It was the worst meal yet. It looked like it was leftovers from days past. I just moved it around the plate for a while then decided to leave.

On the road again at 8am like clock work, the first 40 miles or so were just like the end of the day before, nice fast sweeping turns. Then it turned to straight roads in the valley of two huge mountains. Then you turn off on to a smaller mountain road which takes you to the Copan Ruins. Before leaving the hotel I asked a few people how long it would take and all replies were 5 hours. I don’t know if their clocks need new batteries or I am traveling way too fast because I did it in 2 1/2 hours. I toured the ruins for about an hour or so. I guess I just don’t appreciate the history that much. They were neat but I could have done without seeing them and in my expert opinion they were not as good as the ruins in Palenque, Mexico. Next I headed to the border of Guatemala but not before stopping in the city of Copan Ruinas for a bite to eat. I found a small restaurant that was packed with people so I stopped there and ordered the Carne Asada with rice and a salad. I am not sure what they did different there but the food was great and the atmosphere was even better.

With my belly full it was a short 10 minute ride to the border. I arrived at 1:15 to find out everyone is at lunch and will not be back until 2:00. It seems like no matter how hard I try it takes a least 1 hour minimum to cross a border. When everyone was back to business it took a total of 15 minutes to process everything and move on. The next 30 miles or so was more of the tight mountain roads until the turn off towards Guatemala City. Now it is straight and heavily congested roads. Not to mention the thousands of motorcycles I start seeing, I guess there was some motorcycle rally somewhere and they were all returning to the city. I did see one accident with a motorcycle and the guy was laid out with the ambulance already there.

Next I turn off the main road into Guatemala City and head back into the mountains to avoid the city. Did I mention it was hot again, 95 degrees. Anyway it is another fast road with sweeping turns that is quickly climbing and the temperature dropping just as fast. By now it is getting close to stopping for the night and there are not many hotels in the area. I decide that I better stop at the next one I see so I do not get caught out in the dark in the mountains. A short while later I find a cabin type hotel in the middle of nowhere. I pull in and get a cabin which will sleep up to seven people for the low price of $25. It is an Eco Hotel which is known for it’s great bird watching. Everything was good except it was the first hotel of the trip that did not have a TV and it just happened to be Super Bowl Sunday!

No comments: